WHAT: Mass Rally to Protect our Public Health Care System
WHEN: Tuesday, April 30, 12 noon – 1 pm
WHERE: Queen’s Park Legislature, South Lawn
(University Ave, north of College, Queen’s Park Subway)
OPSEU: Meets at 11:30 a.m. at 585 University Ave,
Peter Munk Centre, Toronto General Hospital
JOIN & SHARE Event on Facebook… Rally to Protect our Public HealthCare
Hundreds of OPSEU members will be busing into Toronto from across Ontario for this rally, and it is critical that we organize the strongest possible showing from Region 5… Which is why we are writing to you now.
Strategies & Resources for Mobilizing Members in Your Local
Below are some steps we are asking you to take – and some resources you can use – to help make this rally as big, loud and powerful as possible and deliver a clear message to the Ford government:
- Promote the Rally to Your Members: First, we are asking you to make every effort to promote this rally to every member in your local and encourage them to make every effort to attend. Attached is a flyer from the Ontario Health Coalition, that you can circulate to your members, along with the link to the Facebook event above.Please also let members know that OPSEU members will be meeting at 11:30 a.m. at the Peter Munk Centre at Toronto General Hospital at 585 University Ave, south of College St. OPSEU is working on a flyer that includes this information that we will forward as soon as it is available.
- Central Book-Offs: To assist hospital locals in mobilizing for the day, your EBMs are encouraging you to book up to 2 local officers or stewards for the day (or 4 for a half day) to attend the rally, and anchor the contingent from your local. These book offs will be funded centrally from Region 5 “Together to Win” Campaign Funds.To arrange book offs (up to 2 full days or equivalent for your local) for April 30, please send an email to email@example.com by Monday, April 15. Important: Please include the following information for each member: Member’s Name, OPSEU Member #, Local #, Personal email, Personal cell #, Hours to be booked off, Name of Manager book off letter should be sent to, Manager’s title, Manager’s address, Manager’s email and phone number
- Local Time Off: As well as encouraging as many members as possible to attend on their own time (including by rearranging their schedules or attending on their regular day/time off), locals are encouraged to consider using local time off provisions under your collective agreement and/or applying to book members off using OPSEU’s Local Time Off (80/20) Fund, to increase the number of your members who are able to attend.To apply to use the 80/20 fund, complete this form and submit it to your OPSEU Staff Rep/Regional Secretary ASAP (by Monday, April 15 where possible). The form can be downloaded here: https://opseu.org/information/opseu-forms-and-documents
Note: For 2019, each local’s annual cap under the Local Time Off Fund has been increased to $35 per member in good standing (80% of which will be covered by OPSEU, 20% charged to the local) up from $25 per member. To apply to the Local Time Off Fund, locals must be up to date on their TARs.
- Get on the Bus: OPSEU Region 5 will be arranging for 2 buses to pick up members at specific times/locations on the morning of April 30, take them to the rally, and return to their pick-up sites after the rally. One bus will be start at approximately 9 a.m. in Scarborough with up to 2 additional pick-up locations. The second bus will begin in Etobicoke or North York. Stay tuned for more information on the bus itinerary and pick-up locations and how to reserve seats for your members.
- Provide Other Support for Members to Attend: For members who prefer to drive or take public transit to the rally, locals are encouraged to consider reimbursing members for their travel/parking costs or other expenses/incentives.
- Plug Yourself In – For updates and late-breaking news on this and the many other actions and events taking place in OPSEU Region 5 and in the campaigns we are working on or supporting, please join the “Region 5 on Facebook” group. Just open Facebook and search for “Region 5 on Facebook” and click to join.
- Bring Your OPSEU Flags, banners, signs and noise-makers to the Rally! By mobilizing your members, and coming yourselves, we can keep building the kind of movement we need to stop the cuts and privatization in health care and across the public sector – and defend good jobs, fair wages and quality public services.
We hope to see you there!
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact any of your Region 5 EBMs for more information.
Your OPSEU Region 5 EBMs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Myles Magner, RVP (email@example.com, 416-427-2606)
Julius Arscott, EBM (firstname.lastname@example.org, 647-728-9143)
Kingsley Kwok, EBM (email@example.com, 416-835-3377)